Out of Stockmore expected soon
Parian - a high quality unglazed porcelain - was developed in the early 1840s by Copeland & Garrett, who were the first to exhibit it in 1845.
It's purpose was to provide small sculpturers for the public at a time when full size marble statues were gracing the homes of wealthy people.
Exmaples exhibited at the 1851 great Exhibition stimulated the demand initiated by the Art Union of London in 1845 and promoted further in the next forty years by other Art Unions.
The debate in the Stafforshire Advertiser columns as to which firm was the frist to introduce parian is examined and commented upon. The manufacturing processes of mouldmaking and the casting of the figures is described and illustrated
Registered Address: Speedy Hen Ltd, Unit 1 Falcon Park, Neasden Lane, London, NW10 1RZ. Company Registration Number: 6862611 - VAT Registration Number GB970516124