A first-century Roman cinerary urn. A Coca-Cola bottle from 1910. A contemporary sculpture of bandaged bones. Contrasts: A Glass Primer presents a wide variety of remarkable glass objects in an accessible and lively format.
These objects are grouped, as in a child's book of opposites, to illustrate highlights in glass history (factory/studio, for example), characteristics of the medium (fluid/rigid), and ways of describing art in general (abstract/figurative).
Above all, Contrasts is an invitation to creative seeing. Contrasts: A Glass Primer is published in conjunction with an exhibition of the same name on display at the Museum of Glass, Tacoma, through November 2009.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 64 pages, 40 color illus.
- Publisher: University of Washington Press
- Publication Date: 22/08/2007
- Category: Exhibition catalogues & specific collections
- ISBN: 9780295987224