An entire race was born when J.R.R. Tolkien scrawled on a leaf, 'In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.' From the invention of that single word (hobbit) Tolkien became the explorer and chronicler of the character, their race and their significant role in his fantastical world, Middle-earth. Here in his latest book, Tolkien expert David Day unpicks the myriad of riddles, puns and mystical meanings in Tolkien's works; The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 192 pages, 70 full-colour and line illustrations
- Publisher: Octopus Publishing Group
- Publication Date: 03/10/2019
- Category: Literary essays
- ISBN: 9780753733783